Friday, August 15, 2008

Good Read

I finished "When Montana and I Were Young" by Margaret "Peggy" Bell last night. I hadn't intended to read the entire book in one sitting. I intended to watch the Olympics; a water polo match was on, so I thought I'd read until that was over. Wrong. I couldn't put this book down!

This is a memoir of the author's first 18 years, from her birth in Great Falls, MT in 1888 until 1906. She suffered terrible abuse from a step-father, and the step-father's brother, but she doesn't dwell on it. Peggy is no victim. She details her life, including her memories of meeting Charles M. Russell, Montana's cowboy artist, and her near-entry into the novitiate of the Sisters of Providence (I think) in Washington. She offers fascinating and vivid descriptions of the prairie and livestock she loved, and the daily rigors of life without running water, electricity, and central heating.

No comments: