Sunday, June 21, 2009

Masked Tags

The Tuesday Tag challenge at Kard Krazy was to use a mask on the tag. Coincidentally, there was a series of Distress Ink tutorials at 2 Peas in a Bucket, including one using masks. I haven't found the Tim Holtz masks locally, but I did have some frisket film and a big shot. I figured that I could cut my own masks. Unfortunately, the "low tack" film was still too tacky for a manilla shipping tag, so I ended up die cutting my Sizzlet flourish on a yellow sticky:

I started with dtp'ing Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to the tag, then applied the mask. Because there is only a narrow area of sticky, it's hard to hold the mask down. I added another layer of ink, Fired Brick, so the masked area shows up pink-ish (in real life; this looks orange on the computer). I darkened the edges with Aged Mahogany, and also used it to stamp the flourish (Studio G Stamps. I dpt'ed another tag with Worn Lipstick for the frame and sentiment. The lady is from a panel of the four by Tin Can Mail; the sentiment is a Just Rite self-stamper. Punched flower with pearl brad.

I wanted to try again, and this time I hand cut some primitive hearts from my yellow sticky:

I added the flourishes again, cut the image from an repro post card and added the scalloped mat. Sentiment from Katie & Co. Stamps, a little bling, it's finished.

I did try some Peeled Paint and Broken China Distress inks on my third tag. The mask is hand cut leaves and stem:

Same flourish stamp. The waterlily and sentiment are Flourishes. I ran out of steam with this one, so ended up using the Copic Spica pens on the flower and the sentiment. They sparkle in real life, but not so much on the screen.

2 comments:

Louise (KardKrazy) said...

What a lovely collection of tags, Ann. Couldn't pick a favorite if I had to. Like the technique with the hearts.

Julie Koerber said...

Wow Ann! I love, love, love all of them. The waterlilie is my fave for obvious reasons! We need to catch up soon! It's been far too long. Miss ya!